Wisconsin Promising Practices Awards 2018 Application Guidelines
If your school or district has developed and successfully implemented a character education practice, we encourage you to apply for a Wisconsin Promising Practices award.
WCEP awards scholarships to recipients of Promising Practice Awards for training in character education. Recipients will also be recognized at the Annual Character Conference.
WCEP sponsors a state level Promising Practices awards to schools and districts in Wisconsin for implementing a practice that promotes character development in their schools. The practice should also exemplify one or more of the Character Education Partnership’s Eleven Principles of Eﬀective Character Education (see www.character.org for the Eleven Principles).
Remember, WCEP is not looking for a description of your entire character education initiative, but rather an ongoing speciﬁc practice or aspect of your program that other schools may learn from and even replicate. The activity/program should have been in place for at least one full school year so the impact of the activity/program can assessed. Applicants are encouraged to read samples of past Promising Practices on WCEP’s website, www.wicharacter.org. You may also wish to review nationally recognized past Promising Practices on www.character.org.
Applications for the Wisconsin Promising Practice Awards must be submitted to us by Monday, January 15, 2018. If you need assistance, please contact Pam Woodard 414‐963‐1423, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: If you wish to be considered for a National Promising Practice Award by Character.org you must apply to them via their website www.character.org. You will find their application and information. The application is essentially the same, however, to be considered for both state and national, you must apply to each one separately, (the questions and information you supply are the same).
To apply, please answer the following questions and submit as your application to WCEP . Please comply with the limit on number of words permitted for each response. If you wish to submit for more than one Promising Practice, please complete a separate application for each practice.
- Complete and submit the online application form below or download 2018 Promising Practices Application PDF and email it to email@example.com
- Practice Name – Enter the oﬃcial name of the practice as you would like it to appear on WCEP materials.
- Principle – Select one of Character.org’s Eleven Principles that your practice best represents.
- Date of implementation – Select the year you began this practice, should have been in place for at least one full school year.
- Responses to three narrative questions – These responses will be used to evaluate your application.
1. What is the practice and how have you implemented it in your school or district? (300 words max.) Provide a detailed and speciﬁc description of your practice. When possible, give information about:
- Rationale, goals, and objectives
- Preparation and training
- Number of people involved
- Frequency of the practice
- Bibliographic reference information for any commercial programs or materials cited
2. How does the speciﬁc practice contribute to character development? (200 words max.) Explain how the practice helps students develop good character and any activities that allow for feedback and reﬂection from students and staﬀ.
3. What impact is the practice having on students in your school or district? (200 words max.) Provide evidence that students have acquired positive skills, attitudes, or behaviors as a result of this practice. Explain how you have measured success and include any testimonials or survey results that conﬁrm your practice’s eﬀectiveness.
For WCEP, send one digital photo. If your practice is selected we will use it in our awards ceremony.